12055 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98125

(206) 367-1065

What if I Change My Mind?

Whether to place a child for adoption is an extremely difficult and very difficult decision. Because of this, the law allows all parents a period of time to change their minds about adoption before their decision becomes final. In Washington State, a birth parent may change her or his mind up until the Consent to Adopt form is approved by the Court, which cannot occur until the baby is at least two days old.

Washington Adoption Lawyer Assisting With Decision

Joyce Schwensen is a dedicated Washington adoption lawyer who can assist you with the important decision of whether or not to form an adoption plan for your child. She has worked with many families whose lives have been touched by adoptionĀ and is very knowledgeable as well as understanding and compassionate. Whatever decision you make, Joyce Schwensen can help you by explaining the law, offering you support and access to resources, and helping you find a great family for your child if you decide adoption is the right choice for you and your baby.

Call Law Office of Joyce S. Schwensen today to set up a free consultation. She serves people throughout the state, including Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, and Spokane.

Information on When Adoption Becomes Final

Back to top

Adoption Law on Revoking Consent to Adopt

To proceed with an independent adoption, consent is required from both parents. The parents each sign a Consent to Adopt form before the adoption is finalized, which is filed in the appropriate court.

Under the Revised Code of Washington 26.33.160, the consent is revocable at any time before it approved by the Court, which cannot be until the baby is at least 48 hours old. If the consent is signed after the baby is born, the court cannot approve it until 48 hours after it is signed. Additionally, a parent may revoke their consent to adoption for a short period after court approval if within 48 hours after the baby is born the parent informs the person who obtained their consent that they want to revoke it, and then mails or delivers a written revocation to the Court within 48 hours after informing them.

Birth mothers working with Joyce Schwensen will have all these rules and procedures fully explained to them, so that they will receive all the protections they are entitled to under Washington law.

Back to top

Will I Have to Pay If I Change My Mind?

Law Office of Joyce S. Schwensen does not charge birth mothers or birth fathers for any part of the adoption procedure. If you opt to change your mind, you will not have to pay anything.

You do not need to make a decision before consulting an attorney. Joyce Schwensen will work carefully with you to make sure your concerns are addressed in order to help you make the best possible decision for yourself and your child.

Attorney website design by Internet LAVA